The theory is derma rollers create controlled injuries to the skin in the form of micro punctures. This then sends signals to the cells to boost collagen and elastin. Studies have shown that using a roller regularly can help skin conditions like acne scarring, fine lines, melasma and hair loss.
A derma roller should be purchased from a trusted shop and be sealed to make sure they are sterile before use.
Also known as microneedling, the roller is rolled over the skin, the small, fine needles on the roller then puncture the skin creating a controlled injury.
Don’t be scared the holes are tiny and superficial. The treatment is safe and superficial. However, the benefits are great when done regularly. It triggers the body’s wounding response and therefore makes the following to occur:
- Substances that stimulate growth are released
- Skin starts to make more collagen
- New blood vessels form
Therefore, fine lines, acne scarring, sagging skin, pore size, stretch marks can all be improved. It is recommended to start treating the areas only once a week and move up to three times a week depending on your sensitivity.
How to use:
- Wash the skin and double cleanse making sure the skin is 100% clean
- Hold the skin taught and begin to roll over the area, a few times up and down, then across, the diagonally.
- You should then bathe the areas you have treated with saline or salted boiled water to make sure the area is extra clean.
- Then you can apply your serums and moisturisers. These will be absorbed further into the skin, making these products work and deliver maximum effects.
People should avoid doing this treatment if they are using strong acne treatments, have blood clotting problems or are taking accutane.
Do not use on areas of skin with eczema, sunburn, cold sores, area of inflammation, aggressive acne or rosacea.
- Remember to also apply suncream for a week after treatment.
- Never share your roller.
- Disinfect after every use.
Best serums to use with our roller:
Needle-Less Serum – £100 Great for fine lines and wrinkles
Hosanna Intense Serum – £29.99 Great for plumping the skin
Hyaluronic Serum – £30 Best for dry, crepey skin
Mattifying Refining Face Oil – £46 Good for oily skin
Face Oil Collection – £51 Amazing miniature collection of 6 oils for all skin can change with hormones and the environment.
Antioxidant Face Gel – £59 Brilliant for stressed skin, or skin that has a lot of outdoor or pollution exposure.