Even on a warm cloudy day in the UK we still can get burnt resulting in sun damage.
What does SPF mean?
Sun protection factor (SPF) measures the amount of protection you’ll receive from the sun’s UVB rays. Rated on a scale from 2 to 50+ (the higher the number, the stronger the protection), it tells you how much longer your skin will take to turn red in response to UVB compared to if you weren’t using any protection. For example, if you normally burn after 30 minutes without sunscreen, an SPF 30 will protect you for 30 times longer, which is 15 hours. Most people should use a minimum of SPF30.
Things to be careful about-
– Sun cream labelled ‘once a day’. Tests carried out on these creams have shown that they do not do this and still need reapplying every 2-3 hours and after swimming. You also have to consider the chemicals in a sun cream that states this!
– ‘Water Resistant’. This is also something you have to be really careful about especially with children. Young children can spend hours in the pool, therefore it is probably better to put them in an SPF vest that covers their exposed back and shoulders. Like one from https://nomaswimwear.com/ (these are brilliant and made from ghost fishing nets) If you are opting for suncream, I would say you should reapply every hour at least, if they are spending a lot of time in the water.
– Another tip is to always apply the suncream in the shade and allow to dry for 15-20 minutes before entering the water or the sun.
– Children under 6 months should have the maximum SPF on, covered up and in the shade as much as possible especially between 11am – 3pm.
– Throw old sun creams away. Sun creams should be replaced at least every 12-16 months. If they have also been left in the sun or exposed to direct sunlight the protection will be reduced.
Our range of sun creams contain no harsh chemicals and are safer for the fish and reef life too. We have amazing new spray sun creams for convenience. My personal favourites are the Coola Sport Spray SPF 50 and the Coola SPF 30 for the body and the SPF 50 White Tea for the face. I always use lip protection too so the Coola Lip SPF 30 Protection is great too. These products are so easy to use and don’t leave a sticky residue like some of the other natural and organic brands.